Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Perks of Being an Art Nerd

Hey all! Hope you had a nice holiday season. Sorry for the long absence, but I was busy celebrating in my own way. However, school will be starting again in 4 days for me, so I figured I'd better get back on the horse and start drawing again. To help aid me in this venture, my gift to myself this Christmas was a VisTablet Graphics Tablet, and let me tell you, I am LOVING this thing. It's much more effective and precise than a normal mouse, and allows me to have a lot more control over the lines and things I draw on the computer. After installing the software, I fired up Photoshop and played around with it. The following drawings are the result of my experimentation.

Self-caricature: I've always had fun watching webcomic artists stream their drawing process, so this drawing was an effort to capture that same cartoony-ness in my own style. I really like how it turned out.
Mutton Chop(s): After finishing the caricature of myself, I started to experiment with drawing different facial structures and hairstyles. I also increased the resolution on the drawings (the caricature was drawn at 72 dpi, which is normal for print rather than for web use). This was my favorite of the bunch, only partially due to the pun on the guy's shirt.

Going With the Fro: When I finished the Mutton Chop guy, I realized that all of my characters hand been in 3/4 view, which simply means that they are turned so that their body is angled towards one side or the other of the camera. I wanted to draw a person in full portrait view, looking straight at the camera. Soon after I finished outlining, I thought it would be fun to experiment with color and shadows. I hope you like it, because I think it turned out great!

That's all for now! I might post some more tablet drawings as I finish them, but if not, I'll see you when class starts!

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment