Wednesday, October 20, 2010

College - Drawing 101

Hello again! I'm pushing ahead with my art blog by posting some of my best drawings from my Drawing 101 class. Enjoy!

Complex Tool - One of the assignments our instructor gave us was to draw complex tools. This is the best one that I did of a dremel.


First Still Life - First (and one of the best) still life drawings I created in the drawing class.


Midterm Still Life - This drawing was made about halfway through the course. We were asked to draw a still life from the pile of objects the teacher created in the center of the room. There was a lot of stuff to draw, so it was pretty easy to find a good vantage point!


Corner and Mirrors - Once we finished still life drawings, we moved on to rooms. I drew this from one of the bathrooms.


Skull - after getting used to drawing rooms, we moved on to drawing more organic objects, starting with skulls. This is the second skull drawing that I did of a bull skull.


Ram head - After drawing skulls, the next step was to draw the rest of the animal. We went to the science building and spent a few days there drawing taxidermy animals.

Cloth - Once we finished with animal skulls, we moved to using charcoal to create shading. This was my most-involved drawing, but it's also one of my favorites.

Charcoal Still Life - After we mastered (or at least became proficient with) black charcoal, our instructor had us use both white and black charcoal on blue paper to create an even more detailed still life.


Lounge - As the year drew to a close, we began experimenting with different shading methods, including hatching, stippling, and cross-hatching. For our final project, we were supposed to draw a room using one of the shading methods. I drew the lounge of the dorm in which I was staying using the cross-hatching technique. I think it turned out rather well.


That about does it for now. Hope you liked what I had to offer! See you again next time!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you for letting me into your world. It inspires me. What I particularly enjoy, Ben, is how you not only share your art but THE PROCESS behind it. Very cool.

    My favorite is also the the cloth drawing. It captures my imagination. :-)

    Draw on, Ben! Draw on!

    Can't wait to see one of your films some day!

    ReplyDelete